Women’s and Gender Studies
Women’s & Gender Studies (WGST) is an interdisciplinary liberal arts program offering an undergraduate minor and a concentration. In your WGST courses, you will find out how our culture’s ideas about men, women, and transgender people have evolved, and learn to understand how these ideas have helped to shape your identity and your relationships with the world. WGST courses give you knowledge and skills that make you more competitive professionally and more informed personally.
A WGST minor or concentration will give you:
- Strategies for critically analyzing power dynamics and inequities in power structures.
- An understanding of how identity is shaped by the intersections of gender, sexuality, race, culture, and social class.
- An appreciation of diversity as well as the interpersonal and professional skills to live in a multicultural world.
A WGST minor or concentration prepares you for careers:
- In law, government, writing, health and human services, public administration, psychology, social work, anthropology, education and business.
- With nonprofits and advocacy groups domestically and abroad.
Faculty: The Women’s & Gender Studies program at Georgia Southern boasts an incredibly diverse faculty from nearly every college on campus. Click here for a list of core and affiliated faculty.
Students: We work with student organizations including the GSU National Organization for Women (GSU-NOW), United for Reproductive and Gender Equity (URGE), the Student Abolitionist Movement, Amnesty International, and the Sexual Assault Student Educators (SASE). We like to think of our program as a center for all things related to gender and human rights on campus.
Thank you for your interest in our program. Please contact the Director, Dr. Lisa A. Costello at: firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions.
We look forward to meeting you!