Prospective brass students wishing to be considered for entrance to the Georgia Southern University Department of Music as music majors must be prepared to play two pieces; one that demonstrates technical ability, the other emphasizing lyrical style (or two such contrasting sections from the same work).
In preparing for the audition, please note that you should select pieces that demonstrate your best levels of musicianship. The Department is looking for evidence of solid fundamentals in tone, intonation, tempo, rhythm, range, technique, and lyrical ability.
The following list of etudes and solos represents acceptable literature. It is offered as a source of suggestions; comparable works chosen outside this list may be substituted. NOTE: All-State Etudes are not appropriate audition material. Please bring two copies of your prepared music to your audition.
- Arban: Characteristic Studies from Complete Conservatory Method
- Bousquet: 36 Celebrated Studies
- Brandt: 34 Studies
- Charlier: 36 Transcendental Etudes
- Hering: 23 Orchestral Studies for the Advanced Trumpeter
- Tull: Eight Profiles
- Balay: Andante et Allegretto
- Corelli: Sonata VIII
- Goedicke: Concert Etude
- Handel/Fitzgerald: Aria con Variazioni
- Haydn: Concerto
- Hindemith: Sonate
- Hummel: Concerto
- Kennan: Sonata
- Ropartz: Andante et Allegro