Masters of Arts in History
If you are interested in applying to the History Graduate Program and/or a Graduate Assistantship in the Department of History, please contact Dr. Tim Teeter (email@example.com) BEFORE making your application.
Application Deadlines: March 1 for Fall enrollment; October 1 for Spring enrollment. Though later applications will be considered, applicants meeting these deadlines will be given priority consideration for available graduate assistantships.
Applicants seeking admission to the graduate program in history must have:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or its equivalent from a foreign university
- An undergraduate major in history, or at least 15 semester hours (or the quarter-system equivalent) of history and a total of 30 hours in the social sciences and humanities
- A 3.0 cumulative grade point average or higher on all undergraduate work, with a 3.0 cumulative GPA in history and no grade in history lower than a “C.”
- Minimum Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores of 550 on the Verbal section, 500 on the Quantitative section, and 4.0 on the Analytical Writing section (Minimum Scores on the GRE Revised General Test are a 145 Verbal Reasoning, a 145 Quantitative Reasoning, and a 4.0 on the Analytical Writing). Lower test scores may be considered but the applicant will need strong evidence of the ability to perform satisfactorily in graduate level work.
- Two letters of recommendation by individuals who are familiar with the applicant’s potential for successful graduate study.
- A statement of purpose (approximately 250 words) outlining the applicant’s interest in graduate study in history.
Non-traditional students and applicants not meeting the above requirements may be considered for Provisional (Probationary) admission as determined on a case-by-case basis.
For more information about the Graduate Program and Graduate Assistantships, contact:
Dr. Tim Teeter (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies
Department of History
P.O. Box 8054
Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA 30460-8054
Phone: (912) 478-0239
Fax: (912) 478-0377
Last updated: 9/10/2013