June 22 – July 21, 2018
Georgia Southern Summer Term B
Application Deadline: February 15, 2018
You will be enrolled in six(6) credit hours of lower or upper division courses and will do a series of assignments, both orally and in writing, for your Georgia Southern professor. Additionally, as part of your immersion experience, each morning, Monday–Friday, in small groups, you will spend four hours practicing your language skills with native speakers who are trained in teaching their language to foreigners.
Service Learning Component
While in Morocco, students will complete a mandatory Service Learning Experience that has been prearranged through Qalam Center and Association Shamsi for Social Work.
The Country: Morocco
One of the most culturally diverse countries, location of great historical importance, and the home of the famous movie “Casablanca”, Morocco is an increasingly popular destination in North Africa. Its cultural diversity is rival to any other location in the area; its lands were roamed and occupied by Romans, Phoenicians, Carthaginians and many others. It was exposed to many religions. Morocco’s incredible diversity extends to its unique geography as well. From the majestic mountains of the Atlas and Rif ranges, to the sundrenched sands of the Sahara, Atlantic, and Mediterranean, Morocco’s natural beauty and cultural richness makes it the ideal location to study abroad.
The City: Rabat
Rabat, Morocco’s capital, offers a combination of modern and traditional, and provides a wide range of opportunities for students to experience its culture through art exhibits, music, and theater. Throughout the city, you will come across architectural marvels centuries old. You may explore marketplaces established in medieval times and visit Museums, Palaces and Mosques. Rabat is an ideal place to learn about the languages, cultures, and religions of North Africa and the Arab world. From its towering city walls to its breathtaking Atlantic coastline, the Moroccan capital of Rabat will enchant and inspire you.
The Partner School
Qalam Center is an academic institution with a reputation for excellence in providing a comprehensive program for the study of Arabic as a foreign Language as well as introductions to Arab and Moroccan culture. The state of the Art facility is located just 10 minutes from downtown Rabat, in the upscale neighborhood of Souissi. Complete with a library, language labs, and large comfortable classrooms.
- In-town cultural immersion activities
- Social services
- Site visits
- Sahara Desert
- Imperial cities (Fez, Meknes, and Volubillis)
- Northern cities (Tangier and Chefchaouen)
- Cultural immersion activities
Program Fees $2,455
- 4 weeks of Arabic classes
- Housing in a student residence (includes breakfast,Wi-Fi, cleaning twice per week, shuttle to school)
- Student phone w/ unlimited intra-calls
- Lunch (Monday-Friday)
- 3 weekend excursions to Sahara Desert, Imperial cities, and Northern cities (All inclusive)
- In-town cultural immersion activities, social services & site visits
- Airport pick up & drop off
- International health insurance (required by Georgia Southern)
Does Not Include:
- Georgia Southern Tuition and fees ($1456.02)
- Air fare (approx. $1400)
- Dinners (approx. $200)
- Laundry (approx. $50)
- Incidental expenses (public transportation, etc.)
- Deposit: $300 Non-Refundable Application Fee due by February 15, 2018. (This amount will apply to the Program Fees. If application is accepted, deposit is non-refundable; if application is rejected, deposit will be refunded to student.)
- 1st Installment: $1050 Due March 15, 2018.
- 2nd Installment: $1050 Due April 15, 2018.
- Insurance Payment (Required): $55 Due April 15, 2018.
The $300 application fee is non-refundable. 80% of the remaining funds are refundable up to 40 days before the program start date, since program services are contracted in advance and must be paid whether or not the student is able to continue with the program.
- 2.0 Cumulative GPA
- Commitment to speak Arabic during the program
Many forms of financial aid can be applied to the study abroad program fees; please note that the Hope scholarship applies to your Georgia Southern summer tuition, although it cannot be used to pay the program fees themselves. Georgia Southern students who intend to pay all or part of the study abroad program fee with financial aid should meet with their academic and financial aid advisor as soon as possible and should apply for summer financial aid no later than March 1, 2018. Students from other University System of Georgia schools should contact their academic advisor and financial aid office at their home institution for instructions.
All deposits and program payments should be made here.
All participants need a valid passport to enter Morocco. Please secure the passport as soon as possible. Medical and liability documents will be provided by the Study Abroad Office for each participant to complete prior to departure. International health insurance is included in the programs fees and is required by Georgia Southern.
Students from other accredited universities are invited to enroll in our Study Abroad programs. In order to receive credit at their home institutions, however, they must enroll as transient students at Georgia Southern for the summer. Students may apply for acceptance to Georgia Southern for summer study at this link:
For more information contact:
Mr. Youssef Salhi, Forest Drive 1116A, 912-478-0254.
Last updated: 9/19/2017