BA in Modern Languages: Spanish
Concentration in Spanish
For the BA, complete a total of 126 hours. These include:
THE CORE: 66 Hours
Area A, B, C, D, E, F and additional Georgia Southern requirements.
THE MAJOR REQUIREMENTS: 24 Hours
- SPAN 3131 Critical Reading & Writing I
- SPAN 3132 Spanish Phonetics & Phonology
- SPAN 4131 Critical Reading & Writing II
- 15 Additional upper-division hours in Spanish, at least 6 of which must be at the 4000/5000-level.
A SECOND MAJOR OR MINOR:
Complete the requirements for the particular major or minor you choose.
Complete enough electives to bring the total hours to the appropriate amount. For example, for a Spanish concentration with…
- A Minor, you need.……………………….126 Hours
- A Double Major, you need……………….126 Hours
- A Dual Degree, you normally* need……156 Hours
*See an advisor if your other degree requires more than 126 hours.
Students must earn a minimum grade of “C” in each Spanish Course.
Note: You may place out of SPAN 1001, 1002, 2001, or 2002 and still get credit for them. If you have taken Spanish previously, you should attempt to take the course that best fits your current abilities — you do not have to and should not start in 1001 if you don’t need to. If you take a higher course and receive a C or better, you may petition to get credit for the lower courses through Proficiency by Examination.
Please talk to the Department of Foreign Languages staff for more information.
For more information see the curriculum check-sheet or the undergraduate catalog.
For details about each SPAN courses click here.
Last updated: 4/26/2017