Master of Arts in Spanish
Degree Requirements: 33 Credit Hours
Graduate Advisor: Dr. David Alley, (912) 478-0246
- Completed requirements for the Bachelor’s degree in a college accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting associations or a Ministry of Education approved institution if an international student.
- A 3.0 (4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average or higher on all upper-division undergraduate work in which the language of instruction was Spanish.
- An undergraduate major or the equivalent in the proposed field of study or permission of the graduate director and the chair of the department.
- Two letters of recommendation by persons familiar with the applicant’s academic experience.
- Minimum oral and writing proficiency ratings of Intermediate High (ACTFL Standards) as determined by a certified ACTFL Proficiency evaluator (the department has certified evaluators).
Students who do not meet the requirements for regular admission may appeal to the departmental graduate committee for provisional admission.
Program of Study
Candidates for the M.A. in Spanish must complete a total of 33 credit hours. The hours are divided as follows:
- 24 credit hours of graduate-level course work in Spanish plus an additional six credit hours in Spanish or in a related field as approved by the graduate director (note that a maximum of twelve credit hours at the 5000G level may count toward the degree).
- Three hours of lower-division foreign language, as approved by the graduate advisor, that must be taken at Georgia Southern, in the Department of Foreign Languages, in residence at Statesboro, while enrolled in the M.A. program. The language studied must be a language in which the student has no more than novice-level ability; a minimum grade of “C” is required and satisfies the M.A. Language Requirement for graduation.
Other MA Program Requirements
All degree candidates will take comprehensive written and oral examinations. Students who fail the Comprehensive Exams may appeal to retake the exams one additional time. Students must retake the Comprehensive Exams within one year of their original attempt. Under no circumstances may the Comprehensive Exams be taken a third time.
For more information and to apply visit the College Of Graduate Studies’ website.
Last updated: 1/27/2016