Why Study French?
- French is spoken on five continents and by more than 200 million people in 43 countries.
- French is both a working language and one of the two official languages of the United Nations, UNESCO, NATO, the European Union, the International Olympic Committee, and the International Red Cross.
- French is the second language of the Internet.
- French is the world language of cuisine, fashion, personal care products, architecture, theatre, arts and dance.
- Fifty percent of current English vocabulary is derived from French.
- An understanding of the French language is a stepping-stone to communication on other Romance languages.
For more information on foreign-language careers click here.
Last updated: 5/28/2013