HOW TO APPLY
Graduate admission to Georgia Southern University is a collaborative process between the Jack N. Averitt College of Graduate Studies (COGS) and the graduate faculty in the Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art (BFSDoArt).
Admission is restricted to include only those students whose academic records and creative accomplishment indicate that they can successfully undertake graduate work. Graduate applicants to the MFA Program identify their interest in either a 2D, 3D or Graphic Design course of study and provide a statement of intent describing their rationale for choosing to pursue the MFA graduate degree.
Interested applicants must complete the online application for graduate admission and $50 application fee to the College of Graduate Studies (COGS) by the application deadline stated.
- Prospective Candidates must have satisfactory completion of a minimum of 18 semester hours of undergraduate studio arts courses and an additional minimum of 9 semester hours of art history.
- A 3.0 (4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average or higher on all undergraduate work.
- Completed requirements for the Bachelor’s degree in a college accredited by the appropriate accrediting association.
In addition to application materials required by the College of Graduate Studies, prospective students are required to submit a creative portfolio for consideration by the admissions committee in the Department of Art
Hard-copy portfolios must be mailed directly to the MFA Director and must include:
- Letter of Interest which includes a Statement of Intent describing purpose of entering full-time graduate studio art program and ultimate goal(s) as an artist.
- 20 to 30 images of current artwork representing a mature, post-baccalaureate, body of work. Include proper identification of title, media, year and size. For videos you can submit either a Vimeo or Youtube URL link with descriptions.
- Artist’s Statement highlighting body of work presented in portfolio.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation identifying your studio practices and ability to pursue coursework of an advanced critical and theoretical nature.
- Curriculum Vitae
In addition to International applicants must include
- an I-20/DS-2019 Request Form
- bank statement
- English as a Foreign Language test scores (TOEFL)
- Certificate of Immunization.
SEND PORTFOLIO TO
Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art, Georgia Southern University
ATTN: Marc Moulton, Graduate Director
PO Box 8032
Statesboro, GA 30460
Last updated: 8/22/2017