Congratulations to the Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art Alumni who have accepted new jobs!
||Master of Fine Arts alumna, Alla Parsons (’11), is now the Director of Fine Arts at South Piedmont Community College. SPCC is located in Polkton, NC, and is North Carolina’s newest community college, having been created in 1999.
||Haley Tam (’14) Graphic Design alumna, has been offered a job with Masters Tournament. Held in Augusta, Ga, the Masters Tournament is one of the four major championships in professional golf.
||Paola Robelo (’14) Graphic Design alumna, now works as a graphic designer at The Ben Silver Collection. Located in Charleston, SC, Ben Silver prides itself on offering classically styled jackets, suits, shirts and neckwear, and an excellent selection of the very best shoes, socks and belts.
||GCM alumni, Justin Knight (’12) is the new Manager of Display Planning at Chattem, Inc., producer and marketer of over-the-counter healthcare products, toiletries, dietary supplements, topical analgesics, and medicated skin care products located in Chattanooga, TN.
||Marenn Mosley (’09), Jewelry and Fine Metals alumna, is a Bench Jeweler at The Paris Market in Savannah, GA. As a bench jeweler, she assembles jewelry pieces from vintage jewelry factory prototypes for The Paris Market and for custom pieces for customers. She’s works in the store front so customers can see her work and ask questions.
||Graphic Design alumna, Justyne Lobello (’09) is now the Marketing Director at Georgia Reptile Society. Located in Dry Branch, GA, The Georgia Reptile Society’s mission is to educate the state of Georgia about the wonderful world of reptiles through membership, outreach, and social media.
BFA printmaking and MFA 2D alumna, Kristina B. Hall (’11) is now an Art Professor at Reinhardt University. She is currently Teaching Art History; 14th century European Art through Contemporary Art.
Since 1883, Reinhardt has focused on meeting educational needs one student at a time. Reinhardt is located in Alpharetta, GA.
Professor Christina Lemon‘s artwork was accepted into the 15th Biennial International juried Enamel Exhibition, Alchemy 3: Vision + Passion + Creation. The artwork will travel 2015-16 to Montserrat College, Worcester Center for Crafts, NH League of Craftmen, and McGowan Gallery. Exhibition sponsored by the Enamelist Society and the accepted artwork will be on exhibit during the Enamelist Society Biennial conference at Montserrat College of Art, Beverly, MA. Exhibit jurors were Martha Banyas, Jim Malenda, and Vera Siemund.
First & Last Name: Lois Harvey
- Degree: BFA, 3D Studios
- Graduation Year: 2014
- Personal Website: https://loisharvey.wordpress.com/
- Where are you currently working? The Clay Studio
- What types of jobs & where have you held in the past? Gallery assistant at Georgia Southern University
- What is your favorite type of work? I enjoy making work that channels more than one idea and is very complex- I hand build my ceramics so my favorite project is usually one that I can make as complex as possible while still physically being stable.
- Where &/or how are you inspired? I am inspired by walking around, observing my surroundings, the architecture and land. I am interested all art, not just ceramics. In the studio music plays an integral part of my creative process.
- Most memorable moment/experience with the BFSDoArt? My most memorable experience with the BFSDoArt Program was working as a gallery assistant for the university. Being involved in unpacking artwork, installations, shipping, and having one-on-one interaction with visiting artists of all types of disciplines was invaluable insight into how to be a successful working visual artist.
- If there was one thing you wish you knew before you graduated, what would it be?
That there are more opportunities for visual artists, especially ceramic artists than you realize while in college. This whole idea of the “starving artist” is only as powerful as you let it be. Artist have advantage of creativity–there are many opportunities for artists who are flexible and willing to consider different viewpoints and be adventurous.
- Where would you like to see yourself, career-wise, in 10 years? I would like be a working artist and possibly teach on a university level.
- Involvement with any professional organizations. Work Exchange with The Clay Studio, Philadelphia.
Open Studio Residency
Upcoming cycle: July – December, 2015
Application deadline: April 30, 2015
This residency is aimed at helping artists find a foothold in the art world while they develop a new body of work. Residents are provided with 5-7 months of reduced rate, open studio membership ($175 per month) and inclusion in one group exhibition at Trestle. Participants receive all benefits of a Brooklyn Art Space Open Studio Membership as well as group advisory meetings that take place monthly. The residents will give back to the community, and get a peek into the administrative end of the art world, by volunteering in the gallery or studio for four hours a month. All artists are invited to apply. Applications are accepted twice each year.
Visiting Artist Residency
Upcoming cycle: July – December 2015
Application deadline: April 30, 2015
The Visiting Artist Residency allows artists to explore their practice and share their artistic experience with the Brooklyn Art Space and Trestle community. Each cycle, one artist receives free Brooklyn Art Space Semi-Private studio membership for six months in addition to exhibition opportunities at Trestle. The Visiting Resident Artist leads one art talk and one critique or workshop during the residency. Trestle Gallery does not provide housing during residency.
Trestle is accepting 2D and 3D works from all artists that are 12″ x 12″ x 12″ or smaller.
ENTRIES DUE: Sunday, May 10, 2015
Entry Fee: $20 for up to 3 artworks
Exhibition Dates: July 10 – August 7
MORE INFO →
Artists and curators are invited to submit proposals for group exhibitions at Trestle (three artists or more). Current submissions will be considered for the 2016 calendar.
Submission Deadline: Rolling
Entry Fee: $0
MORE INFO →