CLASS

Alumni Spotlight: Nika Ford

1. First & Last Name: Nika Ford
  2. Degree: BFA, 2D Studio Art
  3. Graduation Year: 2012
  4. Where are you currently working?  Sips n’ Strokes & Fade Away Ink (mobile henna booth)
  5. What types of jobs & where have you held in the past? I was a nanny and personal assistant for two years in Atlanta. I was also a waitress at Mellow Mushroom during my college years in Statesboro and Atlanta.
  6. What is your favorite type of work? My favorite type of work would have to be surrealism.
  7. Recent Successes? Current Projects? I am currently working on a logo design for someone’s T-shirt line.
  8. Where &/or how are you inspired? I am inspired almost every time I am in nature or around wild life. I am also inspired by young freelance artists who have made a living doing what they love.
  9. Most memorable moment/experience with the BFSDoArt? My most memorable experience was setting up for the BFA Portfolio Exhibition show. I enjoyed learning about all the aspects that go into curating a show. From framing my work to displaying it and making sure the whole exhibit was put together is a cohesive manner was a lot of fun. I learned some valuable information that I think every artist should know.
  10. If there was one thing you wish you knew before you graduated, what would it be? I wish I knew how important it was to have a website up.
  11. Where would you like to see yourself, career-wise, in 10 years?  I would like to see myself as a freelance medical illustrator. Ideally I want to work closely with a doctor to create patient education illustrations. I would also like to do editorial illustrations for medical purposes.
  12. Favorite color. Purple
  13. Anything else you’d like to tell us, your peers and/or future students? I want to thank all of my art teachers for the wonderful experience I had in the program and for all the knowledge they instilled in me and advice they gave me. To future students: Do not be discouraged by any means to pursue a career in the arts because there is nothing more rewarding than living a life of enjoyment doing the things you are passionate about.

LinkedIn

Posted in Alumni, Noteworthy

Tags: , , ,

Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art • PO Box 8032 • Statesboro, GA 30460 • (912) 478-5358 • art@georgiasouthern.edu • (map)