Alumni Spotlight: Nika Ford
- First & Last Name: Nika Ford
- Degree: BFA, 2D Studio Art
- Graduation Year: 2012
- Where are you currently working? Sips n’ Strokes & Fade Away Ink (mobile henna booth)
- What types of jobs & where have you held in the past? I was a nanny and personal assistant for two years in Atlanta. I was also a waitress at Mellow Mushroom during my college years in Statesboro and Atlanta.
- What is your favorite type of work? My favorite type of work would have to be surrealism.
- Recent Successes? Current Projects? I am currently working on a logo design for someone’s T-shirt line.
- Where &/or how are you inspired? I am inspired almost every time I am in nature or around wild life. I am also inspired by young freelance artists who have made a living doing what they love.
- Most memorable moment/experience with the BFSDoArt? My most memorable experience was setting up for the BFA Portfolio Exhibition show. I enjoyed learning about all the aspects that go into curating a show. From framing my work to displaying it and making sure the whole exhibit was put together is a cohesive manner was a lot of fun. I learned some valuable information that I think every artist should know.
- If there was one thing you wish you knew before you graduated, what would it be? I wish I knew how important it was to have a website up.
- Where would you like to see yourself, career-wise, in 10 years? I would like to see myself as a freelance medical illustrator. Ideally I want to work closely with a doctor to create patient education illustrations. I would also like to do editorial illustrations for medical purposes.
- Favorite color. Purple
- Anything else you’d like to tell us, your peers and/or future students? I want to thank all of my art teachers for the wonderful experience I had in the program and for all the knowledge they instilled in me and advice they gave me. To future students: Do not be discouraged by any means to pursue a career in the arts because there is nothing more rewarding than living a life of enjoyment doing the things you are passionate about.
Posted in Alumni, Noteworthy
Tags: Alumni, Alumni Spotlight, Alumni Success, Success