CLASS

Alumni Spotlight: Ashley Anderson

1. First & Last Name: Ashley Anderson
  2. Degree: BFA, 2D Studio Art
  3. Graduation Year: 2005
  4. Personal Websitephotos/pressstarttobegin
  5. Where are you currently working? I do tons of freelancing, but also still working a service job that I fortunately enjoy and which serves to keep me grounded and not too full of myself 😉 

Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art, Georgia Southern University, BFA, BA, Visual Art, Fine Art, MFA, Art School, Bachelors of Fine Art, Bachelors of Art, Masters of Fine Art, Betty Foy Sanders, Georgia Artists Colection, alumni, 2D studios, Painting, Drawing, Figure Drawing, Illustration,

Ashley Anderson

6. What types of jobs & where have you held in the past?   
    T Shirt designer
    Flier designer
    Animation collaborator
    Poster designer
    Portrait painter
    Landscape artist
    Conceptual designer (TV)
    Muralist
  7. What is your favorite type of work? Anything that balances interesting ideas or problems with a visually stimulating (not to be confused with purely pleasing) effect. I love the hell out of Matisse, but I love Peter Saul and Paul McCarthy as well.
  8. Recent Successes? Current Projects? I’ve most recently sold 3 paintings to the High Museum of Art for their permanent collection. The pieces will be featured in a group show in the latter half of June this Summer.
    Back in the Fall I completed a year-long emerging artist mentor program, called Leap Year, through Atlanta’s MINT Gallery. I got a free studio space, stipend, mentors, memberships to art organizations, and collaborated with two other selected artists to make public art and do arts-based community service. I also went on my first artist residency through Leap Year to the Hambidge Center in Rabun Gap, GA.
    Right now I’m wrapping up the Little Tybee drawing and prepping for the University of KY project. I’m also applying for residencies and trying to sharpen my grant-writing skills.
  9. Where &/or how are you inspired? By working and by learning about how other artists work. There’s a really great interview Richard Serra gave on the Charlie Rose show back in 2007 that I actually ripped the audio from youtube and burned to a cd; it’s one of my favorite things to listen to when I work!
  10. Most memorable moment/experience with the BFSDoArt?  Staying up 33 hours and painting for 19 of those. Bruce Little calling a classmate’s work shit in the first Drawing 1 critique(also my first art class in college). Another classmate catching beetles in buried traps using his own dung and then using the dead bugs in assemblages. Changing from an illustration to fine art painting track when I realized how much more interested I was in dealing with ideas of my own.

Shining, Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art, Georgia Southern University, BFA, BA, Visual Art, Fine Art, MFA, Art School, Bachelors of Fine Art, Bachelors of Art, Masters of Fine Art, Betty Foy Sanders, Georgia Artists Colection Faculty, Professor, Alumni, Staff, printing management, graphic communications management, Graphic Design,

Shining

11. If there was one thing you wish you knew before you graduated, what would it be? I guess maybe the hustle involved, by which I mean understanding not just the necessity of grants and residencies to get the time/space to make work, but the actual process of applying for both. It also took me a while before I learned about acrylic painting medium, which would have made my first 5 years out of school so much easier, but I’m hard-headed!
  12. Where would you like to see yourself, career-wise, in 10 years? Hopefully in a good cycle of producing and selling work, doing residencies, and hopefully still getting invited to do fun projects all over the place!
  13. Favorite color. Primaries. Secondaries are alright, but I hate purple.
  14. Involvement with any professional organizations. Vice President – Murmur (formerly Atlanta Zine Fest)
  15. Anything else you’d like to tell us, your peers and/or future students? Read everything, follow your bliss, make a lot of mistakes, learn tons of processes, take nothing for granted in your work because that is a fine way to cheat yourself, raid youtube and ubuweb for video art, artist interviews, and how-to videos, learn to cook because it saves you a lot of money in groceries and healthcare, learn to save money and invest, be a good person because no one wants to work with an asshole 😉

LinkedIn

Posted in Alumni, Noteworthy

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art • PO Box 8032 • Statesboro, GA 30460 • (912) 478-5358 • art@georgiasouthern.edu • (map)