CLASS

Alumni Spotlight: Michelle Boaen Jameson

Michelle Jameson

Michelle (Boaen) Jameson

1. First & Last Name: Michelle Boaen Jameson
  2. Degree: BFA, 2D Studio Art
  3. Graduation Year: 2003
  4. Personal Websitekmjphotoplay.wordpress.com
  5. Where are you currently working? The Times of Gainesville, Ga; Morris Multimedia
  6. What types of jobs & where have you held in the past? Oh, I have had a job of one kind or another since I was 15. I’ve done everything from tossing pizza to logistics for a large retail corporation. But my “break” came the summer I graduated Georgia Southern when I landed the job at Statesboro Herald as the daily paper’s sole photographer. Since then, I have had the opportunity to ride in presidential motorcades, meet the Rev. Jesse Jackson and several celebrities among other things. I worked my way up the editorial ladder to become the editor of HOME Magazine, a lifestyles publication produced by Franklin Publishing and Morris Multimedia.
  7. What is your favorite type of work? Most definitely my passion is photojournalism. It takes both the keen eye of an artist to frame and compose a shot and a nose for news, but it happens once and never again. You either get the moment, or it’s lost forever. It’s the anticipation of that moment that really excites.
  8. Michelle Boaen Jameson; Home Living in North Georgia & Destination Lanier Magazines

Michelle Boaen Jameson; Home Living in North Georgia & Destination Lanier Magazines

Recent Successes? Current Projects? I have several awards from both the Associated Press and the Georgia Press Association. I just published a new magazine, Destination Lanier, where I am the editor, photographer, and designer! The latest edition of HOME features the fabulous art collection at Brenau University here in Gainesville.

9. Where &/or how are you inspired? Well, I could easily say music, nature and coffee, but to be honest, inspiration comes at our darkest or most unexpected hour, when we are struggling to make sense of life. I do however, find inspiration from the study of the human mind and its endless ability to transform and rewire itself.
  10. Most memorable moment/experience with the BFSDoArt?  By far my most enjoyable moments came from long hours in the studio with fellow artists, feeding off one another’s sleep-deprived delirium. I also really miss the time spent in Gallery 303 with the other students hanging shows and prepping for receptions. You learn a lot handling other artists work. One trip that stands out was when I was asked to return the work of a visiting artist. He had 20-30 large cane poles as part of his instillation and my job was to safely transport them back to his studio in Washington, D.C. It was my first and only trip to our nation’s capital. Another interesting event happened my senior year when another student and I were asked to show our work at the state capital for an annual meet and greet with the Georgia legislature. My work was a study in figure drawing/mixed media and was a four canvas piece. Before the night even began, someone asked that I remove two of the canvasses. I refused to compromise the work, so I was forced to move the piece to a corner, which only made everyone more interested to see!
  11. If there was one thing you wish you knew before you graduated, what would it be? That the economy was going to tank! And that it takes time to get started in your field, and you may end up doing something outside of your major that leads to other opportunities.
  12. Where would you like to see yourself, career-wise, in 10 years? I would like to be in a position where I can return to studio work full time.
  13. Favorite color. You know that goldish refrigerator from the ’70s? That color.
  14. Involvement with any professional organizations. Associated Press (AP), Georgia Press Association (GPA), SPPJ
  15. Anything else you’d like to tell us, your peers and/or future students? Success isn’t about degrees, it’s about rolling up your sleeves. Oh yeah, and unplug!

LinkedIn

Posted in Alumni, Noteworthy

Tags: , , , , , ,

Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art • PO Box 8032 • Statesboro, GA 30460 • (912) 478-5358 • art@georgiasouthern.edu • (map)