CLASS

Jessica Rycheal Starts Lifestyle Apparel Brand

The_Underdog_CoApart from her fulltime gig at True Fabrications, Jessica Rycheal, a Graphic Design alumni has started her own apparel brand. The Underdog Co independent lifestyle brand inspired by “working class dreamers.” She printed the first shirt, one of the most popular designs, during her undergrad at Georgia Southern in 2010.

Jessica Rycheal on her brand The Underdog Co “I really just want to create something people can relate to, something real that will actually reach people. In order to do that, I have to open myself up and use my experiences to encourage others who may be on a journey similar to mine. It takes a lot of courage to actually do what you love and pour yourself completely into a dream. It’s not the free-spirited cake walk down a yellow brick road a lot of people make it out to be. Sometimes you lose; that’s common, especially in the beginning stages. It’s frustrating at times, but the fulfillment you get from doing what you’re passionate about makes the journey exciting. That is what keeps me going, that genuine love for what I do; my Iove for the process from conceptualization to execution is what makes it worth it. It’s incredibly rewarding to watch something you’ve built with your bare hands, your blood, sweat, tears and faith blossom into something great. So my mission with the Underdog Company is to motivate others to build their dreams, to start where they are with what they have and build it one day at a time.

As the designer and manager of [The] Underdog Company, I’m responsible for concept development and creative direction through hand-lettering, typographic artwork and lifestyle photography in product lookbooks for relatable and aesthetic appeal. I also collaborate with different vendors to define the best methods to align printing options, ink textures and fabric blends for optimum color, printing and apparel quality. ”

Truelogo

As a graphic designer for True Fabrications, Rycheal works specifically with the marketing team to design print and web promotions, ranging from catalogs, invitations, email campaigns and trade show collateral. For brand or launch-specific projects, she can step into the creative direction role to help plan and direct photography.

Posted in Alumni, Noteworthy

Tags: , , , ,

Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art • PO Box 8032 • Statesboro, GA 30460 • (912) 478-5358 • art@georgiasouthern.edu • (map)