CLASS

Alumni Spotlight: Steven Dendy

Steven Dendy; Graphic Communications Management Alumni; Huhtamaki

Steven Dendy,
Graphic Communications Management Alumni

1. First & Last Name:  Steven Dendy
  2. Degree & Graduation Year: 1994 B.S. in Printing Management (now referred to as Graphic Communications Management)
  3. Where are you currently working?  Huhtamaki, currently in De Soto, KS
  4. What types of jobs (& where) have you held in the past?  I worked for a couple of years in the Eagle Print Shop on campus running the printing presses and copy machines.  Upon graduation I went to work for Rock-Tenn Company I held numerous jobs from Quality Coordinator, Traffic Manager, Assistant Plant Manager and Plant Manager.  In 2001 I became the Plant Manager for Paris Packaging in Andalusia, AL held this positions through a couple of acquisitions, the last one being with Huhtamaki.  Most recently I have been promoted to Director of Operations – Folding Carton for Huhtamaki where my responsibility will be overseeing four folding carton plants (Andalusia, AL , Paris, TX, Hopkinsville, KY and Franklin, OH)
  5. What is your favorite part about your job? Working with people.
  6. Recent Successes? Promotion from Plant Manager to Director of Operations Folding Carton
  7. Current Projects? Optimization of Folding Carton Production through four plants for optimal production and customer service.
  8. Where &/or how are you inspired?  I was raised around printing and folding cartons.  I loved going to the folding carton plants with my dad.  I worked out in the plants while going to college in the summer and love working with the people on the machines.  I am inspired by the production people in my plants from the lowest paid worker to the plant managers.  These people are the reason I go to work every day.  I love seeing what you can do with ink and paper.  The challenge of a new account and delivering the product to the customer,  meeting or exceeding their expectations that is what keeps me going.
  9. Most memorable moment/experience studying your degree at Georgia Southern?  Taking the introduction to Printing Management and the conformation that I had chosen the right major for my degree and career.  Any day in the computer lab with Dr. Jim Holmes!
  10. If there was one thing you wish you knew before you graduated what would it be? That Snooky’s would close!  I would have eaten there more often!
  11. Where would you like to see yourself, career-wise, in 10 years? I just achieved what would have been my 10 year goal.  Now I would like to see our organization as the number one food service packaging provider in the US.
  12. Favorite program/machine to use, and what it is used for?  Any wide web Flexographic printing press or Lithographic printing press.  Nothing is better than the smell of blanket wash in the morning!
  13. Anything else you’d like to tell us, your peers and/or future students?  Realize that Georgia Southern University gives you the knowledge for your career.   It is your hard work and determination that leads to success in your career. 
  14. Favorite color? Blue

LinkedIn

Posted in Alumni, Noteworthy

Tags: , , , , ,

Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art • PO Box 8032 • Statesboro, GA 30460 • (912) 478-5358 • art@georgiasouthern.edu • (map)