Alumni Spotlight: Lauren Langley
2D Studio Art Alumni
- First & Last Name: Lauren Langley
- Degree: BFA, 2D Studio Art
- Graduation Year: 2002
- Personal Website: laurenlangley.com
- Where are you currently working? Turner Broadcasting System in Atlanta, GA
- What types of jobs & where have you held in the past? Prior to working as an Expert Interaction Designer at Turner, I have worked in fine arts administration at a public art center and gallery in Atlanta, freelanced as a graphic designer and web designer, and have experience as a graphic designer at a small agency in south Florida.
- What is your favorite type of work? Contributing both visual design and front-end programming on emerging technology projects, and designing interactions that enhance a person’s experience using an application.
- Recent Successes? Current Projects? In my first year at Turner, I have worked on several public facing interactive media projects at events such as the State of the Union and Presidential Inauguration coverage on-air and at the National Mall for CNN, InstaBracket for NCAA.com during the Final Four, 80” touch screen application at Ryder Cup for PGA, and a scavenger hunt mobile application for Cartoon Network during Comic-Con.
A screenshot of CNN’s “Tweet of the Union”
A collaborative iPad app Langley was part of.
I also graduated in May 2012 from Georgia Tech with a Master of Science degree in Digital Media, and won the Most Outstanding Master’s Project Award for my degree program. (View Lauren’s thesis project: The Water Quality Interactive Data Visualization Tool)
- Where &/or how are you inspired? I am inspired when I chat with people about the exciting things they are making, when looking through art and design books old and new, thumbing through old technical manuals, and being surrounded by nature.
- Most memorable moment/experience with the BFSDoArt? Going through the entire process of my senior project, from working alone in a studio to presenting artwork to the public in a gallery exhibit.
- If there was one thing you wish you knew before you graduated, what would it be? Working as a commercial artist, one must emotionally distance themselves from their artwork. Oh, and networking is not as scary as I once thought!
- Where would you like to see yourself, career-wise, in 10 years? I would love to have the opportunity to work as a Creative Director for emerging technology projects.
- Favorite color. Green
- Involvement with any professional organizations. IxDA Atlanta, AIGA
- Continuing education, grad school, etc. Master of Science – Digital Media, Georgia Institute of Technology, May 2012
Posted in Alumni, Noteworthy
Tags: Alumni, Alumni Spotlight, Alumni Success, Success