CLASS

Alumni Spotlight: Alessandra Dzuba

1. Alessandra Dzuba

Alessandra Dzuba
    2D Studio Art Alumni

First & Last Name: Alessandra Dzuba

2. Degree: BFA, 2D Studio Arts

3. Graduation Year: 2012
  4. Personal Website: AlessandraDzuba.com

5. Where are you currently working? In addition to my gallery shows, I am currently a Studio and Productions Assistant for Porter Teleo, an Assistant and In-Studio Artist for Oracle – Fine Curiosities, and a Gallery Assistant at Mod Gallery.

6. What types of jobs (& where) have you held in the past? During my undergrad, in addition to being a full-time student-athlete, I looked for opportunities and held many different jobs. During the summers I taught tennis while being a studio assistant to Professor Carol Ann Carter at the University of Kansas. After transferring to Georgia Southern University, I volunteered for many events, entered gallery shows and art fairs. After graduation I took an internship with artist Ricky Allman at the University of Missouri – Kansas City that led to other opportunities. From there, I began as lead cataloguer for the Jim Leedy Project (with fellow artist Christel Highland), interned for Porter Teleo (a hand-painted wallpaper and fabrics company) and made connections to galleries which I now work very closely with including Leedy-Voulkos Art Center, Todd Weiner Gallery, and Mod Gallery. I have been extremely fortunate. During my last show of new 3D works at Todd Weiner Gallery, I was approached by Oracle (a new curiosities and fine arts shop in town), and I am now also serving as their in-studio artist, assistant, and continuing collection.

7. Where &/or how are you inspired? I am inspired by my heritage and the deeper science of psychology but especially inspired by animals and our connection to nature.

8. Alessandra Dzuba, 2D Studio Alumni

(Top) “Figure 1.1 Papillon” Paper, wood, graphite, canary wings; 1 of 25 installation
    (Bottom) “Spine” paper clay, wood, graphite, acrylic paint; sculpture

What are you currently working on in the studio? My current art is a continuation of my work as an undergrad, exploring the connection between humans and animals. It primarily focuses on how as humans we try to repress our animalistic nature in order to elevate ourselves to a position above the other “animals.” This act of arrogance allows us to have a certain disregard for both nature and animals, in spite of the fact that we are so closely related. Within this concept, I have been investigating our similarities in structure and instincts by pulling back the curtain on how we as humans we repress our animalistic nature. Through experimenting with installation and sculpture I morph human and animal together into a new being and ask the question, “does our subconscious still hold our natural selves as the animals that we are?”

In undergrad I created drawings and prints of the animal familiars we have. I have now taken it a step further by expanding into three-dimensional forms by mixing animals with other animals or human parts to create both completely new figures and figures slightly similar to something we can readily identify with.

9. What is your favorite type of work? Although there is nothing like working in your own studio and producing your own work, I absolutely love working in Porter Teleo’s studios and Oracle’s shop. It has become therapeutic mixing the inks and painting the patterns with a fantastic team of artists. While at Oracle, I have the freedom to experiment with my new series and work among my own hobbies. It is a break from the concentration on your own work and deadlines. Not to mention that I am surrounded by amazing and supporting people. I also love First Friday in Kansas City, which is a huge opening for nearly every gallery in town that feature new art and includes the monthly art-crawl.

10. Recent Successes? Current Projects? I have been very lucky in having many opportunities this year, but I am especially thankful for being able actively exhibit my artwork. My recent exhibitions in Kansas City, Missouri include Local Artists Exhibition by Art Stork at Nica’s Cafe, Holiday Artist Show and Dia de Los Muertos at Mod Gallery,Champions of the Forgotten – a traveling show from Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum at the Leedy-Voulkos Art Center, The Human-Animal (solo) at Mod Gallery and The Living and Containment (solo) at Bespoke Salon Gallery. I am currently showing Activating Ancient at Todd Weiner Gallery and an upcoming solo show at Leedy-Voulkos Art Center. My work was also featured in After Dark II at the Greg Moon Gallery in Taos, New Mexico.

11. Most memorable moment/experience with the BFSDoArt? I miss critiques and working alongside amazing professors and students, especially in the print studio.

12. If there was one thing you wish you knew before you graduated, what would it be? There is no such thing as getting involved too much, and there are plenty of other students that are already doing gallery shows or anything else you deem impossible until after graduation.

13. Favorite color. Turquoise

14. Involvement with any professional organizations? Artist Inc., Kansas City

15. Anything you’d like to tell us, your peers and future students? Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot do something. If you work hard, you can accomplish anything. “To define, is to limit” -Oscar Wilde

Posted in Alumni, Noteworthy

Tags: , , , , , ,

Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art • PO Box 8032 • Statesboro, GA 30460 • (912) 478-5358 • art@georgiasouthern.edu • (map)