CLASS

Alumni Spotlight: Rob Chandler

Rob Chandler, Graphic Design Alumni

Rob Chandler
Graphic Design Alumni

1. First & Last Name: Rob Chandler
  2. Degree: BFA, Graphic Design
  3. Graduation Year: 2010
  4. Personal Website: robchandlerdesign.com
  5. Where are you currently working? I’m currently freelancing for Letr&Co in Savannah, and several national non-profit organizations based out of Washington, D.C., New York, and Atlanta on a regular basis. Other freelance work is irregular and finds me for various reasons. I began actively seeking work any way I could, mostly across the internet, but eventually I didn’t have to, and all of my work finds me now. 90% of my most beneficial projects/clients has come from networking. Before I secured a steady flow of projects, I worked with clients in Australia, China, Canada, Saudi Arabia, and London.
  6. What types of jobs (& where) have you held in the past? I was a carpenter in Thomaston, GA for 2 years, I managed a ministorage complex in Barnesville for several years, I interned at Tytan Ad Agency on Tybee Island, I was an apprentice at a neon sign shop in Savannah, and later began making my own neon signs out of my garage
  7. What is your favorite type of work? Although the great majority of my work is commercial, my favorite is fine art. I love painting and mixed media. Aside from a neon sign shop in my garage, I also have a small ceramics studio, and a letterpress printing shop. My favorite type of commercial work is logo design / brand identity.
  8. Rob Chandler, Fox & Hound

Recently featured in CMYK Magazine,
    Chandler’s Fox & Hound

Recent Successes? Current Projects? I was recently featured in the quarterly CMYK Magazine Professional Showcase for a logo and brand identity I designed. Last month I was awarded five ADDY awards from the American Advertising Federation (in collaboration with Letr&Co). When I have free time, my current project is growing a custom letterpress printing side-business called Savannah Press (website under construction). I also have a graphic design business that I work under sometimes called Eastern Design Bureau.

9. Where &/or how are you inspired? Inspiration for my personal work comes from finding natural beauty in forms all around me. One of my hobbies is collecting found objects like bones and insects, and then painting them in a way that I think accentuates their inherent splendor. Inspiration for commercial work is a bit different, and often comes from my interpretation of an attitude or experience.
  10. Most memorable moment/experience with the BFSDoArt? Countdown to Portfolio Reveal
  11. If there was one thing you wish you knew before you graduated, what would it be? People will take advantage of you faster than you can say the word “Contract”
  12. Where would you like to see yourself, career-wise, in 10 years? In 10 years, I will be the owner of an 8-person marketing firm somewhere pretty.
  13. Favorite color? PMS 7548-U (that’s a goldenrod-ish color on uncoated paper, for those of you who don’t know)

LinkedIn

Posted in Alumni, Noteworthy

Tags: , , , , ,

Betty Foy Sanders Department of Art • PO Box 8032 • Statesboro, GA 30460 • (912) 478-5358 • art@georgiasouthern.edu • (map)